Tips for an Effective 5 Minute Presentation
- As an additional way to highlight you as the featured speaker, please sit in the chair to the left of the Vice President.
- Download the BNI 62 Bio Sheet and complete it. BRING A PRINTOUT for your Secretary/Treasurer and EMAIL him a copy by the Monday prior to your speech.
- Remember to bring a door prize ($10-$15) to the meeting.
- Make sure you still give your 30-60 second commercial (depending on your chapter) or at least a preview of your presentation.
- Make sure you prepare and time your presentation for ONE MINUTE LESS than your chapter allows. Some chapters allow as many as 10 minutes, while BNI 62 allows only 5. Check with your Secretary/Treasurer about the time limit. Invariably, there are minor hiccups that will stretch your time out, so planning to be shorter will allow you to get to all of your information.
- We suggest writing out your presentation and printing it out in large type, so it's like having a teleprompter.
- If you write out your speech, keep your paragraphs short. That will make it easier to read.
- Don't be nervous. You know your material better than anyone in the room, and your fellow members like you, so they won't judgemental about little flaws.
- If you don't write-out your whole speech, you should at least have bullet points to keep you on track.
- Focus on 3 good referrals or referral partners and mention them at the end of the presentation.
- Please pay attention to the warnings the timekeeper gives you and wrap-up your speech when your time is running out.
Items to Cover in Speech:
- Your BNI history: Why you joined and what you've gotten out of BNI
- What you do
- Your "bona fides"
- What services or products you provide
- Why you are better or different
- How much it costs to work with you, if applicable
- Ideal clients or referrals
- Ideal referral partners
This five minute presentation was given by Conrad Strabone, Jr., President of e9digital, a boutique New York City website development agency at Manhattan BNI Chapter 62 on October 24th, 2012. Website: http://www.e9digital.com